The popularity of cup cakes hasn't deminished despite the attempts of whoppie pies and macaroons to push them off their perch. easy to bake and quick to decorate they are the perfect 'starter' product for those looking for a first step into professional baking. However there are many cakes out there that fall short on taste....all show and no substance.
Had a request for a carrot cake recipe suitable for cupcakes so here it is
Carrot Cup Cakes
225g/8oz self raising flour
110g/4oz caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200ml/7fl oz milk
110g/4oz golden syrup
2 medium sized carrots
- Preheat the oven to 160C/300F/Gas 3.
- Grate carrots, squeeze out excess juice and place carrot on a paper towel.
- Sieve the flour, sugar, spice and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- In a small pan gently heat the butter and syrup until melted.
- Beat the egg into the milk.
- Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and stir. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour in the egg and milk and stir until smooth and add carrot. The mixture will be wet.
- Mix well and 3/4 fill cake cases.
- Bake 15/20 minutes.